Dayton's New Community Center Fulfills A Need for Local residents

City: Dayton, OR

Thanks to an $800,000 Community Development Block Grant, the city of Dayton completed major improvements to a former Masonic lodge for use as a new community center in late 2011.

The historic structure underwent major renovations including ADA accessibility improvements to the building and property; renovated restrooms and meeting spaces; remodel of the kitchen facilities to commercial grade; abatement of asbestos tile; replacement of all exterior windows and carpeting; and on-site improvements to the parking lot, landscaping, and lighting. City officials renamed the building the Palmer Creek Lodge in August 2011.

The Palmer Creek Lodge—Dayton Community Center was originally built by the Masons in the 1950's and was named the Jacob Meyer Masonic Lodge #10, after Jacob Meyer who held Grand Treasurer and Grand Master of Masons positions in Oregon for several years in the 1880s.

The city hired Boora Architects, Inc., from Portland for design and construction management of the project and Nomarco, Inc., from Woodburn was hired to complete the improvements.

The city of Dayton held a grand opening for the new facility on September 26, 2011. The new community center's auditorium, meeting rooms and commercial kitchen are available for daily rentals by Dayton residents. The city intends to continue to pursue additional grant fund sources for additional improvements to the Community Center as funding permits and as needed.